In this video, former Olympic Swimmer Markus Rogan, who is now a graduate student in Sport Psychology, describes the 6 elements of mental toughness.
Drawing on the work of Graham Jones and Tara Scanlan, in addition to his experience as an elite swimmer, Markus talks about mental toughness consisting of:
- Self-belief (trusting yourself)
- Passion (loving what you do)
- Dealing with anxiety (and awareness of the physiological responses to fear)
- Focus on task (the job at hand, rather than the outcome)
- Lifestyle focus (being prepared to be a 24h athlete)
- Pain & hardship (e.g. dealing with setbacks)
If you have any questions for Markus, please leave a comment.